Young Adult Members Conference: 23 July 2022

Young Adult Members Conference: 23 July 2022

Jul 19, 2022 | News

Saturday 23 July, 9am to 3pm
  • 9am-9:05am: Welcome. Acknowledgement of Country. 
  • 9.05am-9:15am: Introductions. Presenter: Carolyn Dews, IDFA CEO.
  • 9.15am-9:45am: 3 x Young Adult Members share their health journey story.
  • 9.45am-10am: Morning Tea.
  • 10am-11am: Ice Breaker Activities.
  • 11am-12pm: Christina Irene. 
  • 12pm-12:45pm: Lunch.
  • 12:45pm-1:45pm: Transition from child to adult and support services. Presenter: Jane and Gretel to co-present with IDFA Young Adult Member Tanielle (who has just transitioned from Child to Adult).
  • 1:45pm-2pm: Live Smoothy Demo.
  • 2pm-2:15pm: Afternoon tea
  • 2:15pm-2:45pm: Nutrition talk and 10 minute Q&A. Presenter: Amanda Jackson, Dietitian. 
  • 2:45pm-3pm: IDFA closing, Thank you.


Christina Irene, is an Invisible Conditions Speaker and Author. Christina Irene lives with fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, osteoarthritis, degenerative disc disease, and irritable bowel syndrome. Since 2015, she has made it her purpose to be an advocate and a teacher for people with invisible conditions.


Dr Jane Ho, Paediatrician and Gretel Butler, Occupational Therapist Care Coordinator both work at the Trapeze Service in the Sydney Children’s Hospital Randwick.


Amanda Jackson, is an accredited Practising Dietitian with expertise in the management of adult food allergies, intolerances, gastrointestinal diseases, kidney disease and immune disorders. She works in her own private practice and at the Royal Melbourne hospital where she is involved in resource development, teaching and training to both the dietetic and broader allergy community – with patients through to the multidisciplinary healthcare teams.


IDFA would like to acknowledge the GYOW not for profit and the NSW & QLD state health organisations for the support service details contained within this pack.


There are going to be times, such as applying for your driver’s licence, Centrelink payments or opening a bank account, where you’ll need to show identification (ID) to prove who you are. Items of ID may be allocated points – you’ll usually have to show 100 points of ID but check with the organisation first.

For the Centrelink ‘Confirming your identity’ form click here.

Getting a passport can be complex, especially if you are transitioning from care. You will need to make sure you have all the information required. There may a number of steps you need to go through and this will depend on your situation. If you are under 18 click here. If you are over 18 click here. 


The Money Smart website provides information and tools for those aged under 25 yrs on bank accounts and ways to help manage money and finances with:
• Leaving home
• Studying
• University debt
• Tips on buying expensive items (e.g. mobile phones, car, home)
• Debts and trouble-shooting

Click here for more information.

The main purpose of Centrelink is to provide financial support to those in need and to support people to become more self-sufficient. Most often young people will require assistance from Centrelink in the areas of Youth Allowance, Disability Support Programs and Newstart.

Centrelink also offers Centrepay, a free bill-paying service that helps you budget by making regular deductions from Centrelink payments, so you don’t have to deal with a large bill every month or quarter (e.g. electricity bill or rent).

Youth allowance provides financial help for young people aged 16-24 yrs who are studying full time, eligibility requirements apply Click Youth Allowance – Services Australia or phone: 13 24 90 (Youth and Student Services)

Disability Support Program if you have a disability you may be entitled to disability pension. 

To find out whether you are eligible visit
P: 13 24 90 Youth and student services
P: 13 28 50 Employment services
P: 13 61 50 Family assistance
P: 1800 132 317 ABSTUDY for Indigenous students needing help with costs
P: 13 12 02 Multilingual services for help in a language other than English.

If you are receiving a Centrelink benefit (e.g. Youth Allowance, Disability Support Pension or Newstart) you may be eligible for ‘Rent Assistance’, which gives extra financial help to people who pay rent for their accommodation (including private rental, lodging and board). You will need to speak to a Centrelink officer to discuss whether you are eligible for this support. Visit Human Services or call 136 240.


You can get access to your own Medicare card from the age of 15 years. 

If you receive a Centrelink benefit (e.g. Youth Allowance), you may qualify for a Health care card, which will entitle you to reduced cost medications and other concessions (e.g. cheaper or free visits to the doctor, reduced costs for dentist and optometrist appointments). To find out if you are eligible click here. 

The ‘Immunise Australia Program’ provides free vaccinations for young people, which can protect you from diseases. 


Family Planning

Speak to your health care provider about your own health when planning for pregnancy

To find your local service visit Genetic Services in Australia

Prenatal Testing Prenatal testing (booklet) (


Carers Support

To find out about Carer Support services visit

For more information on Carer payments visit Centrelink Payments For Carers | Carers Australia


Just like our physical health, our emotional and social wellbeing is important too. When we have good mental health we’re able to cope better with day to day events. But when we don’t take care of our mental health we can struggle with our feelings and thoughts. Building relationships with partners and friends is an important part of every young person’s wellbeing. If you’re having trouble with your mental health there are a number of support services you can contact that can provide you with advice, counselling and emotional support

Kids Helpline provides information and counselling for children and young people aged 5-25 years. P: 1800 551 800 (counselling is also available online or via email)

Lifeline is a 24-hour telephone counselling service for adults and young people. 131 114

Headspace is the national youth mental health foundation which helps young people who are going through a tough time. 1800 650 890

Reach Out is an interactive web-based service that assists young people on issues impacting on their mental health and well-being.

Twenty 10 is a service that provides young gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people with information and support on a wide range of issues.  (02) 8594 9555 W: Qlife offers online chat and counselling and referrals for LGBTQI young people.


Youth Allowance is a Centrelink government benefit which provides financial help for young people aged 16-24 yrs who are studying full time.  You can contact Centrelink to find out if you are eligible and entitled. P: 13 24 90 (Youth and Student Services)

My Future website is an interactive, online career exploration service aimed at all Australians wishing to explore their career options. The website helps you see possibilities in the world of work, identify your own interests and skill areas, set career goals and how you can plan to achieve them.

The Australian apprenticeship website tells you everything you need to know about apprenticeships, and the benefits of combining practical work, and training and future job prospects.

Colleges are located across all states and territories. They have an extensive range of education and training programs from various sectors such as: arts, engineering, tourism, business, fashion design and youth work. You can get certificate level qualifications, as well as diplomas and advanced diplomas. Many TAFE institutes have a scholarship programs available for young people. Contact TAFE in your state for more information

Uni can be an amazing experience. You can also do courses online through universities. Your area may have scholarships or additional funding and support you can access to continue your education. Contact the Universities in your area for more information.

If you are enrolled in school or TAFE your employer is obligated under the law to provide you with flexible working hours to accommodate your studies

There are a number of services and programs which can assist you and provide you with advice on: job hunting, interview skills, and increasing your experience through volunteering.

Jobactive is the Australian government service to help Australians into work:

Centrelink can help you with your job choices and with referrals to job service providers. Work – Services Australia 


Can help with information about workplace rights and obligations, including:
• Starting your job
• Pay and conditions
• Tax, Super and HELP
• Safety and accidents
• Problems at work
• Quitting and losing your job 
Visit Fair Work. 

Is the national independent workplace relations tribunal which oversees the following:
• Minimum wages and employment conditions
• Enterprise bargaining
• Industrial actions
• Dispute resolution
• Termination of employment and other workplace matters, Fair Work Commission


This event is supported by an unconditional educational grant from Takeda. Takeda has not determined and is not responsible for the agenda of this event.